Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fruit and Veggie Puree Pouches


Fooducate has a great article on the puree pouches that are so trendy right now. I agree with everything Dr. Rose is saying. Are they bad? No. Do they teach your kids to like veggies? No. I really liked how she discussed snack rotations. I am going to try to do a better job of that with my kids. I think kids can get stuck in a rut of eating the same foods over and over. It is easy for parents to give them that food because they know they will eat it. But, keeping a rotation of foods is a great way to get kids to like a variety of foods without going overboard will all sorts of new foods.

This is how kids get stuck in a food rut...

  1. Kids get used to eating puree pouches.
  2. Parents are happy.
  3. Kids start to reject actual vegetables; they don’t taste as sweet, they’re not as much fun…
  4. Parents panic that their kids aren’t eating right and resort to puree pouches more frequently.
  5. Kids get used to eating puree pouches.
  6. Many kids start to demand them.
This is particularly true if you are parenting a picky or a sensory sensitive eater.
Here are some of my kids favorite go to snacks:
- Apples or bananas with peanut butter
- Crackers and string cheese

- Plain Greek Yogurt mixed with strawberry yogurt
- Carrots and hummus (although my daughter usually just sucks the hummus off the carrot and double dips)
What types of snacks do your kids love?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 21 month old still loves the pouches! I use them only as an "on the go" snack. At home for meals we only do fresh veggies. She seems to be able to understand the difference. It is a bit of a challenge because my husband thinks I spend too much on produce. My kids are not into canned or frozen stuff and they don't have the variety you get in the produce section. Guess he will just have to deal with it! Each week when I shop, I let my 4 year old pick out a new fruit or veggie. It has to be something we didn't have last week. It makes him excited to try something he got to pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such great suggestions. I am going to do a better job of letting B pick out a new fruit or veggie.

      Delete