Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chicken and Veggie Coconut Curry

I haven't always been a fan of curry, but my husband loves it. Over the years I have developed a taste for it, some of it. Last night I attempted my very first curry dish. The kids were pretty skeptical at first. But, I don't give into picky eating very easily. I pretty much held down my daughters arms while my husband fed her. Once the tears stopped, she realized that she liked it and asked for more. I just find it to be utterly devastating when I put a huge effort into a tasty (and nutritious) meal, make a huge mess in my kitchen, and then no one wants to eat it. Is it just me?

Ingredients:
3 TBS yellow curry
1 tsp ground ginger
2 TBS oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large handfuls of shitake mushrooms, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1 head baby bok choy, chopped
3 chicken breasts
1 can light coconut milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
Chopped cashews, optional

Preparation:
1. Cook chicken through. You could grill it, boil it, or bake it. Set aside.
2. Add half the oil to a large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Add in onion, cook 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic. Add in remaining veggies. Cook until tender. Set aside with chicken.
3. In the same pan, add in curry. Cook until fragrant. Add ginger and oil. Mix well. Add in coconut milk and chicken broth, bring to a simmer. Add in all the chicken and veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. If it becomes dry add in more chicken broth. 
4. Serve over brown rice and top with chopped cashews if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment