Monday, March 26, 2012

Sugar Belly


This month's Nutrition Action Health Letter is all about sugar. In all honesty, I love sugar. I love to bake and I love to eat it. When I have treats in my house I eat them. So, you won't find them in my house very often. I do eat what I bake, but then send the rest to the neighbors. I find that I would rather eat a really yummy dessert once a week (or so) and avoid sugary foods (the foods I highlighted in red below). If you are active and eat well, you can enjoy dessert. But, you must be extra cautious of the added sugars in the foods you eat every day.

Here is an excerpt from the article, Sugar Belly: How much is too much?

Soft drinks, sports drinks, fruit drinks, energy drinks, coffee drinks, cupcakes, cookies, muffins, doughnuts, granola bars, chocolate, ice cream, sweetened yogurt, cereal, candy. The list of sweet temptations is endless.


The average American now consumes 22-28 teaspoons of added sugars a day - mostly high fructose corn syrup and ordinary table sugar (sucrose). That's 350-440 empty calories that few of us can afford. 

How much added sugar is too much? Cutting back to 100 calories (6.5 teaspoons) a day for women and 150 calories (9.5 teaspoons) a day for men might mean slimmer waistlines and lower risk of disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment