Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Treat Day

I believe in the 90-10 rule. Maybe the 80-20. Throughout pregnancy (and beyond) I probably follow more like 66-34 rule. I need to get back to the 85-15 range.
Do you know what I am talking about?
I am a big advocate of Normal Eating (remember). The 90-10 rule goes along with Normal Eating and means that 90% of the foods you eat are healthy (fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, low-fat dairy) and 10% are indulgences (chips, soda, cake, cookies, Lucky Charms). Sometimes I get caught-up in my desire to be a Normal Eater that perhaps I go a little overboard (like NOT leaving some cookies on the plate because I know I can have them again tomorrow)...
Additionally, I love to bake and my boy loves to help me. Sometimes, while my baby naps its one of our favorite one-on-one activities.
My point of all this is, I am going to designate Tuesday as Treat Day. Treat Day means that I will bake a delicious dessert (because that is my weakness) made from (scratch) good quality ingredients (not crisco, processed cookies, etc). Treat day doesn't mean doughnuts from the grocery store or pie, because those for me aren't worth it. I am good at saying no to things that just aren't worth it. Maybe some of the indulgences that I post on Treat Day wont be worth it to you. That's ok. I'll try to share a little something for everyone.
PS- I rarely keep the excess treats in my house. I'll give them away, which makes the day of the recipient.
Here's what we baked today (and shared with the neighbors)
Chocolate Caramel Tart (I renamed it because I revamped it from Giada's Esspresso Caramel Bars)
Ingredients:
Crust
6 ounces gingersnaps (free of PHO)
10 TBS Earth Balance (because there is real butter in the caramel)
1/4 cup brown sugar
Caramel Filling
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup 1% milk (you could use cream)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Chocolate Topping
1/2 bag milk chocolate chips
1/2 bag dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
A few pinches sea salt (optional, but not really)

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cookies, (pretend) butter, and brown sugar in a food processor. Pulse until fine. Spray a 12 inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture in, pat down and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
2. Combine ingredients for the caramel. Melt in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Pour immediately over the crust. Let cool for 20 minutes. Freeze for 10 minutes.
3. Combine chocolate chips and heavy cream to melt over a double boiler. Pour over caramel. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
4. If desired, sprinkle lightly with sea salt just before service. I promise it makes the flavors POP!!

We need 50 followers before we do another give-a-way!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! I also believe in having 1 treat day a week, (ours is sunday) And I will bake something home made. I have found that it really isn't that hard not to have treats throughout the week and gives me something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete