Thursday, June 10, 2010

Stuck

Did you know that exclusively breastfeeding a baby can burn 600 calories per day?!!

That explains why you see mother's lose ALL their baby weight within the first couple of months after their baby is born. This scenario seems much more common to me.
Unfortunately, there are some women who actually retain weight while breastfeeding. Yay, for me! This is the category I fall under. At least this helps me to counsel other women who are like me, I know just how they feel.

Here are some recommendations I found at Le Leche League International...
If a mother gains weight or has stopped losing weight after the first two months, she can increase her activity level and reduce her intake by 100 calories per day. Although mothers reducing their caloric intake by 25% safely lost about one pound (.45 kg) per week without affecting their baby's growth, according to a study by Dusdieker, nursing mothers need at least 1800 calories per day. Diets of less than 1500 calories per day are not recommended, although fasts of less than one day have not been shown to decrease milk volume.

Interestingly, crash dieting, extreme exercise, and quick weight loss can actually increase toxins through breast milk because contaminants are stored in body fat.
Weight loss takes time. I don't expect to be to my pre baby weight any sooner than 9 months. You shouldn't either. But, just for fun I have added a new pole to the top of my page.
Does breastfeeding help you lose weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment