Monday, December 14, 2009

Is Chicken safe?


I know not everyone is a "freak" like me when it comes to their food. Regular people probably don't read books like Omnivore's Dilemma By Micheal Pollan or watch food documentaries like Food Inc. Although, everyone should. However, maybe after reading this article from Consumer Reports people may change their minds or at least practice better food safety. We have the power to make a change.


Here are my tips:


  • Buy organic meat and chicken if you can. I am so excited to get the meat from my cow come January. He/She was raised on grass, not corn or other animals.

  • If you can't afford organic. Look for antibiotic/hormone free meat and chicken (and Milk i.e. Winder Dairy). And make sure you handle and cook it properly. Raw meat, chicken, and fish should be prepared on a clean plastic cutting board. Use your butcher block only for fruits and veggies.

  • Don't thaw your holiday bird overnight on the counter. Please. Keep it in the fridge or run it under a cool water bath, changing the water every 30 minutes.

  • If you want to stuff a bird, cook it through first. Often times the internal temperature of the stuffing never reaches 165 degrees like it should.

These tips are simple enough. Plus, they will keep you and your family healthy and happy.


PS- Dosen't this brown chicken look so happy? It gets to eat and roam as it pleases. Allowing us humans to consume a less fatty more nutritous piece of grilled chicken.


Trivia Question: Why are some eggs brown and some eggs white?




1 comment:

  1. I just found Food Inc on Netflix, and am going to watch it online. It will probably put me back into my vegetarian phase like most of these movies. But I am intrigued.
    Oh, and about the egg color. White chickens lay white eggs, and red/brown chickens lay brown. Which I knew. But then thinking about the little chickens we had growing up, some of them had light blue and light green eggs; so I looked that up. And if you want to get weird, a way you can tell what color of egg the hen is going to lay, just look at her earlobes. The color of her earlobes will match her egg. Let me know when decide to inspect a chicks lobes. LOL

    ReplyDelete