Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A healthy fix for an unhealthy craving


So, guess what? I am human and I have been craving some not so healthy foods lately. I have also not been in the mood to cook much lately. Mexican sounded good yesterday, but we didn’t want to spend money going out and I didn’t want to spend long in the kitchen. I picked up an avocado on my way home from work, the rest of the ingredients I had in my fridge and pantry at home. Here is what I came up with…

This is not a detailed recipe. It’s more of a pinch of this and a dump of that. I call them…
POWER-PACKED TACOS and its dinner in less than 20 minutes!

Ingredients:
6 inch whole wheat tortillas (I like La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low-Carb High-Fiber Tortillas)
1 pound ground turkey
1 can black beans
Taco seasoning (no MSG)
1 avocado
½ cup salsa
A sprinkling of garlic powder
Spinach
Monterey Jack Cheese

Cook turkey through. Add the full can of black beans and ½ taco seasoning. Meanwhile, mash the avocado with salsa, garlic powder, and salt. Heat tortillas. Spread tortilla with avocado mixture, add turkey and beans, add spinach, and add shredded cheese.

This dish is packed with fiber, lean protein, vitamins, and minerals. I bet you can’t find a healthier taco, especially at a Mexican restaurant. The best part, my hubby and my 2-year-old snarffed it down!!


Oh, and for dinner we had brown-rice krispy treats made with organic marshmallows. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment