Monday, September 21, 2009

How sweet it is!

I have been researching sugar and sugar substitutes at work a little bit today. So, I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. I will admit that even I am slightly skeptical of what I have added to my diet recently (Stevia). Hopefully you will find this as informative as I did. First off, I have to mention my favorite website, http://www.eatingwell.com/ where I did most of my research for this post.

When trendy foods first come out I am always skeptical. That’s why it took me so long to try the latest in the zero-calorie-sweetener world, Stevia. The only place I really use it is in my plain yogurt, so I think that’s alright. However, I know there are those who put it on everything. Here is information on many sweeteners. I will let you decide for yourself which ones you will or won’t use.

Sweeteners that come from nature: These do provide calories, but these are the ones I would stick to. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 teaspoons of added sugar per day for women, no more than 9 teaspoons of added sugar per day for men, and the limit is 3 teaspoon for children. These recommendations are quite distant from what the average Amercian consumes - 22 teaspoons! These are added sugar. Fruit and milk will automatically provide 15 grams and 12 grams respectively of naturally occuring sugars. These do not count.
Honey:
I love my Adams peanut butter and honey toast in the morning!
Agave Nectar: beloved by vegans as a honey substitute. 1 tsp = 20 calories, but it’s glycemic index level is about 5 times lower than sugar and it’s sweeter so you can use less.
Raw sugar/turbine sugar (Sugar in the Raw): My personal favorite in baking or on top of oatmeal. 1 teaspoon = 15 calories. So if you need to sweeten something, that’s not going to hurt you.
White sugar

Zero calorie, “natural” sweeteners:
Stevia (Purvia, Truvia, Stevia in the Raw, Sweet Leaf):
Prior to December 2008, stevia and it’s extracts could only be sold in the US as dietary supplements. Research conducted in the 1980’s demonstrated a link between stevia and reproductive issues in animals. Recently research was submitted to the FDA indicating that a highly refined extract of Stevia, Rebiana or Reb A was safe. The FDA placed it on the GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list. Reb A has no impact on blood sugar and is 200 times sweeter than sugar, so you use much less.

Sugar Alcohols:
Xylitol (Xylosweet): A naturally occurring food component and listed as GRAS by the FDA. It is not fully absorbed by the body which explains why it provides 2 calories per teaspoon and may create digestive issues. It is often added to gums and mints and has been shown to reduce dental caries (aka cavities.)
Erythritol (ZSweet, Sun Crystals): Naturally found in melons and pears. Our bodies can fully digest it, but we can’t break it down. Therefore, it provides no calories and does not provide a glycemic response. It is often combined with cane sugar to provide 4 calories per teaspoon and creates a slight glycemic response.

Artificial, zero calorie sweeteners:
Sucralose (Splenda): Chemically created by combining sucrose (table sugar) with 2 chlorine molecules. It is 600 times sweeter than sugar and provides no glycemic response. It is NOT natural despite that commercial slogan, “It’s made from sugar so it tastes like sugar.” CSPI (the Center for Science in the Public Interest) says that this appears to be the safest of all the artificial sweeteners. However, we thought that about aspartame years ago. There is NOT enough research, I would just steer clear.

Artificial, zero calorie sweeteners that I would completely avoid if I were you:
Aspartame (Nutra-sweet, Equal): Requires too much typing of chemical alteration for me at the moment. It was approved by the FDA in 1981. Individuals with phenylketonuria (PKU) cannot metabolize phenylalanine, (one amino acid used to create this substance) which can build to toxic levels. They should avoid it completely. For the rest of us, there is a significant amount of research stating that aspartame causes headaches and nerve damage which can possibly lead to diseases like Multiple Sclerosis.
Saccharin (Sweet n’ low): A chemical compound containing sulfur and nitrogen. It was first discovered in 1879 and has a long and controversial history. It was banned by the FDA and later re-approved in 2000 as an additive. That’s just fantastic!! Gotta love the FDA!
Acesulfamine-potassium: Commonly found in protein powders, it has an extremely bitter aftertaste so it is often coupled with another artificial sweetener like sucralose. Double the fun! CSPI says we should all avoid it. So all you muscle men and women, check you protein supplements. It’s in your Muscle Milk!!

There you have it a lot of information for you to filer through. Great job if you made it through!!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite of all these is stevia! Of all possible sweeteners, stevia cannot be surpassed, and I doubt will ever be because it's pretty perfect. Not only will it not harm you in any way, but is good for you! The many health benefits from stevia are well-documented. From one such documents, it states, "more studies attest to the safety of stevia than any other substance currently ingested by man." SweetLeaf stevia has 0 calories, 0 carbs, and 0 glycemic index, so it is perfectly safe for diabetics. It also nourishes the pancreas and balances blood sugar levels, as well as decreases desire for sweets! As far as reproductive issues are concerned, well, I guess I can't speak for those animals, but stevia has been used in Japan in various products for more than 25 years, and according to research, it has had no effect on female or male fertility nor on the state or development of fetuses. You can go to the articles, "Science Declares Stevia a Safe Sweetener," or "Stevia, The Diabetic's Dream: The Fat Cell's Nightmare" if you are interested in doing some esearch on it. That's where I got some of this information. Whatever you do, live long and prosper! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who you are, but thanks for reading my post. I agree that Stevia is by far the best way to sweeten your foods without adding calories. However, it is terrible in baking so you must find an alternative. I have done a good amount of research on these foods and I don't think there is anything wrong with being skeptical of a product that has been recently released. I also don't think that you should use it on absolute everything. Moderation is always important. I would be interested in your materials. In my research, Stevia in the form of Reb A is what the FDA has approved. Sweet Leaf does not contain that form. Thanks for your comments. I look forward to learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Devrie, I sweeten my plain yogurt with Stevia as well! Also, do you ever use Organic Unrefined Whole Cane Sugar, also known as Rapadura? It contains several nutrients such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, and small amounts of vitamins A and B. It's a really great alternative to refined sugar. I use it to bake with and it works really well!

    ReplyDelete