Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oatmeal vs the Egg McMuffin


You're on a road trip with your family, trying to save time and money of course. You start the drive early in the morning and you are hungry. There aren't many options. You see McDonald's. Eew! You want something that tastes good {pretty difficult}, something healthy {difficult}, and something that will keep you feeling satisfied for a few hours {semi difficult}. Interesting, Micky D's now has oatmeal. "It's a bowl full of wholesome." Or, so they say. It sounds healthy. Is that your best option?

As soon as I saw an advertisement for this "warm and delicious bowl of 100% natural whole grain oats, brown sugar, a touch of cream, diced fresh apples, dried cranberries, and two kinds of raisins." I knew it wouldn't be as nutritious as it appears. I am super skeptical like that. A New York Times food blogger attacked the oatmeal recently. {read about it here}

Here's what's really in it:
Whole grain rolled oats, brown sugar, food starch-modified, salt, natural flavor (plant source), barley malt extract, caramel color. Apples, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color). Dried sweetened cranberries (sugar, cranberries), California raisins, golden raisins, sunflower oil, sulfur dioxide (preservative). Milk, cream, sodium phosphate, datem, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium citrate, carrageenan.

Today I read an article debating the NY Times article. {read it here}
The author, Brierley Wright is a Nutrition Editor at my favorite, Eating Well. I usually agree with her, but her comments make me wonder if McDonald's is paying for advertising space on the site. She brings up a total fat and saturated fat comparison to the Egg McMuffin. The Egg McMuffin is higher by about half, a valid point. Sodium and fiber are also valid points.
One commenter said, "I hate how so many RD's still villify fat." Good point. Fat is good for us, even saturated fat {about 10% of your total fat intake}. Instead, more and more research is showing us the harmful effects of excess carbohydrates and simple sugars.
In my opinion, the Egg McMuffin is the better option. Lean protein {coming from the egg} is the most important in feeling satisfied. It also has a higher thermic effect than carbohydrates and fat, so it burns more calories to digest.
Another good point - if you are only eating fast food once per month {or less} then maybe you should get what you truly went there to get. If I go to Chick-Fil-A, I am getting those waffle fries not a dry, wilted lettuce, overly salted turkey wrap. I can make a healthier and tastier wrap at home.
So, if you are on that road trip pick the Egg McMuffin. I believe it is the best option there.
Although 2 trips a year to McDonald's {for breakfast, never for any other meal} is about all I can handle.

What do you get when you are stuck eating fast food?
Or, do you go less often and get what you want?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! I now have a way to justify my eating habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the benefits of both oatmeal and egg muffin. Oat meal is good for the heart, while egg muffin contains protein which is good in a diet. Taking vitamins and supplements is important; check out Supplements Canada now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this! I read the NYT article a few weeks ago and was shocked. I get the fact that if the oatmeal doesn't actually taste good, no one's going to buy it so McDonald's adds sugar, fruit, etc. So in my mind, I don't blame McDonald's, I blame the consumer for being stupid enough to believe something you buy from McDonald's could ACTUALLY be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and as a side note -- what about Jamba's oatmeal. Is it any better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love Jambas oatmeal! It's the only one that is slow cooked steel cut, extra fiber/nutrients. The Huffington Post article actually compares different ones.
    Oats are very heart healthy, just not loaded with sugar!!
    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know. I am glad you did the research for me because I would have picked the oatmeal not thinking twice about the extras added in. I sometimes stupidly forget that these places don't prepare food the way I do at home.

    ReplyDelete