Thursday, March 10, 2011

Green Smoothie


These are quite the trend these days. In fact, I watched an entire segment dedicated to them on Studio 5 while jogging on my treadmill last week. This is the perfect time of year to discuss this topic and here is what I have to say...

- Are they good for you?
Yes. What's not good about fresh fruits and vegetables?
- Will they help you lose weight?
Yes. If you were to replace one glass with a meal or two each day AND follow a healthful diet within your caloric needs to loose weight .
- Are they necessary for good health?
No. A variety of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and low fat dairy are.
- Should I start adding these to my diet?
If you feel the need. If you are choking them down, no. They must taste good to you.
- Is this a good way to sneak in veggies for my kids?
Sure. But, don't stop offering them the natural form of the veggie.

Bottom line:
You can and should chew your veggies too. Don't think that you can eat all the junk food you want and then drink a green smoothie to "cleanse" your body, they don't "cleanse" your body anyway. Eat a nutritious diet and this can be an added bonus!

I made up my own and it includes protein, one thing NOT commonly found in the majority of green drinks:

1 banana
1 clementine
1 packet Purvia (stevia)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup spinach

Blend with ice and enjoy!
Are you a green smoothie drinker?
What's your favorite recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I just made one two nights ago for emme, and she loved it! Ours was actually purple, instead of green -- but that counts, right? We used frozen blackberries, frozen strawberries, spinach, banana and orange juice. Yum! We liked it so much that I bought more spinach, bananas and frozen blueberries to make it again this week.

    ReplyDelete