Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Holiday Favorite


One of the ultimate holiday treats is hot cocoa. My favorite?
Starbucks! I haven't tried the salted caramel cocoa yet, but that sure sounds delightful.
The original comes in at 300 calories, 9 grams of fat, 47 grams of carbs (with 16 oz of milk that means 23 grams of sugar) and 14 grams of protein.
The salted caramel has 360 calories, 12 grams of fat, 66 grams of carbs (42 grams sugar) and 13 grams protein.
If you would like to stay within your daily recommended added sugar intake (AHA- 36, 24, 12, grams for men, women, & kids) then here is what I suggest...

(for 4, 8 oz servings)
4 cups 1% milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Dash of sea salt
1/4 cup stevia (purvia, truvia) ...
Or, you could use slightly less flavored agave (this will add in sugar calories...1 TBS = 60 cal)

In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a simmer on medium heat. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Pour into glasses. Enjoy!!!

Tell me what yours is.
And Jessica...email me at devpettit@gmail.com with your address for your Nutrition Action Health Letter Subscription!!

2 comments:

  1. This Jessica? If so my address is 315 Lane Circle
    Sady, UT. 84070

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been looking for something to use my Agava in. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete