Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Challenge


My brother is the inspiration behind this blog post because he has recently started following a pescitarian diet. (FYI- A pescitarian doesn’t eat meat or poultry, but will consume fish and other seafood. Honestly, it’s a pretty healthy way to live.) He says that it is purely a bet between himself and a friend. They both visited the website, meat.org and decided that they, like most Americans consume too much meat. Michael Pollan stated that Americans consume about 200 pounds of meat per person, per year. That’s A LOT of meat. I have mentioned previously that I am not a vegetarian. I love a good turkey sandwich, grilled chicken on green salad, and even a steak once in a while. Furthermore, I personally believe that properly raised meat and poultry contain nutrients that benefit our bodies. With that being said, I believe everyone should follow a meatless diet at least once per week. It’s actually not that hard. Today I have basically been a vegetarian without even thinking about it…


8AM – Pan cooked egg (free range) with Tillamook cheese
11AM – Steel cut oats with Soy Milk, a little brown sugar, and strawberries
1 PM – Whole wheat couscous and green bean salad with grilled tofu, from Whole Foods and fresh cut pineapple


I have no idea what I will be eating for dinner as we have plans with family and will probably eat out somewhere, but as you can see its pretty simple. Do you think you could be a vegetarian one day per week?

No comments:

Post a Comment